Saturday, October 11, 2014

Inheritance: Maiden, Mother, Crone

Last night I attended a special burlesque show put on by Sinner Saint Burlesque, a local group and one of the more accessible and prolific. Their mission is "to celebrate the human experience through smart, sexy entertainment." I've been to several of their shows and they never fail to delight and to occasionally confuse. But their pieces are always unique and interesting.



This one, called "Inheritance: Maiden, Mother, Crone," is hosted by Theatre Off Jackson and "blends burlesque, modern dance, narrative and feminist performance art with activism, intergenerational dialogue, beloved community, and sensory spectacle to explore both ancient and modern stories about what it means to embrace, celebrate and integrate the feminine."

Certain moments of the performance made me uncomfortable because they were so artsy, so very THEATRE, yet didn't feel sincere or well thought out; they were just a little too touchy-feely. And pretty much anything by Jesse Belle-Jones leaves me cold (she makes me wonder if she really takes herself that seriously). But most of the first act wowed me; it was both amusing and poignant. I especially enjoyed "Promise Ring" by Lady Tatas, which skewered the weirdly sexual and infantalizing cultural relationship between a daughter-bride and her father. (It was set to "Butterfly Kisses," which could not have been more perfect.) I also thrilled to Nikola Tease-la's "Sex Education" piece, especially the hilarious clitoris dance. And Evilyn Sin Claire's "Oocyte Ritual," which I took to be about the performer's experience as an egg donor, resonated deeply with me.

Overall, it was an enjoyable and worthwhile experience, and one that I highly recommend, especially for those who want to get in touch with and celebrate the experience of being a woman.

Also, just an FYI, nearby Sun Bakery has really satisfying, cheap custard buns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover