Monday, August 4, 2014

In pursuit of healthy living

No, this isn't going to become one of those blogs. I don't aspire to use the words "ketosis" or "crossfit" here, or anywhere. I mean, no promises, but I feel reasonably sure that I'll never be that girl. I did go on a day-long hike with Tyler and Boots, though, to Lake Serene!




Since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism, I've planned for some time to visit a nutritionist to help me navigate my dietary limitations and boost my health. I'm already vegetarian most of the time, but I also tried going gluten-free for a little more than a month. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but it was also much harder in a way - every time I went to a restaurant, I had to hunt for the one or two things that would be both veg and GF. And I began to dream of things like baguettes.

I visited the nutritionist for the first time this weekend. She was recommended to me by a friend as being body positive, and she definitely was! We didn't bother with weight or calories or any kind of body shaming. Instead, we talked about my goals, discussed some strategies, and did a visualization exercise. I was told to imagine the most wonderful, peaceful place I could, and then give that place a path to my "food house." I was allowed to imagine whatever I wanted inside the food house, and I could stay as long as I wanted, and return whenever I felt like it. I literally imagined a cabin full of bread. So, since being gluten-free hadn't seemed to really impact my health, negatively or positively, we decided that the restriction itself was unhealthy and that I could slowly reintroduce gluten into my diet. I was very pleased with the news, but I didn't immediately run out and eat a whole pie... just a bunch of peanut butter pretzels and a piece of chocolate bread and a quesadilla. That's all, though.

Since then, however, I've made several healthy, satisfying eating choices that look and feel a lot different than the scavenging I usually do. It felt good to get permission to plan just a couple meals a week, and to allow pre-made meals (from Trader Joe's, natch) to supplement those. Today I had a hummus and veggie wrap for lunch with a side of sweet, dark cherries that I bought at a roadside stand, and tonight I made a watermelon, mint, and feta salad with whole grain baguette on the side. And I feel good.

2 comments:

  1. Hi - Coming to you from Twitter (with my 3rd try bc Google's so nutty with the commenting)...I'm pretty much in remission from Hashimoto's through my naturopath, Cynthia Senter in Wallingford. Just in case you need another opinion. Unfortunately, she's not covered by all insurance. Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tiffany! I'll give Cynthia a look. :)

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover