Friday, July 25, 2014

I shopped the Nordstrom sale

And all I got was frustration! (And, okay, a couple of bras.)

The other night, I left work and immediately headed to Nordstrom. Inspired by memories of back-to-school shopping with my mom and blog posts by stylish women, I was so sure I'd score some great finds.

But what I learned is that the stuff they have briefly discounted is bullshit. Maybe I've gotten pickier, but this isn't the sale I remember. It's not the sale my parents remember, either, who recall that in the glory days, everything was discounted, not just a few mediocre racks that people are only interested in because discounted wares are appealing on principle. I was looking for wardrobe staples, but what I found was mostly shoddy polyester, cheap cashmere, and ill-fitting designer throwaways.

Most of the time, I'm picky about my clothes. I don't have a huge budget, but I have high standards. I will hunt forever for the perfect this or that, and I'm rarely willing to settle. I want to love my clothes, and I want our love to last. I want the classics I buy to stay classic, not fall apart within a year. I really hope that Michael Kors's premonition comes true:

“I have my predictions – I’m sure technology will continue to have an impact on fashion, particularly the way people shop. I think quality will be increasingly important – we’re moving away from a time of fast fashion.”

"Nordstrom" used to be synonymous with "quality." Has that changed? Or has quality become a luxury for the super-rich? Not necessarily, if you're a diligent thrift, consignment, or eBay shopper - but sometimes I just want it to be easy, especially when my body seems to be constantly morphing.

If you must go, your best bets are shoes and brassieres. Stay away from anything in the middle. If you're like me, it'll just make you sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover