Friday, July 18, 2014

Hypothyroid, body image, and fashion

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism this year, which was both disappointing - I have to take medication every day for the rest of my life to make my thyroid work properly - and a relief. I'd gained so much weight so quickly in the past year, and it was no longer a mystery why my clothes fit one month but not the next and why I was tired and cold all the time. I'm happy with my body at any weight and I generally have good self-image, but it was frustrating and disheartening to suddenly feel like I had literally nothing to wear. I was feeling less cute, less confident, and less attractive clothed or naked, and I wasn't cool with that.

I take my daily medication and I've gotten back into working out, but while I work toward a happier, healthier me, I still need to feel comfortable and confident in my clothes. I used to think I was reasonably stylish and that I knew how to shop for my body type, but even at a pretty average size 10, I wasn't finding much in stores to excite me.

Recently, I chatted with an aspiring personal stylist about my wardrobe challenges and goals. She asked me to measure myself and to take pictures of my body from the front, the side, and the back.

No makeup, no hairstyling, no filter, no (gasp) bra! IT'S THE REAL ME Y'ALL.
While the pictures are not the most photogenic of me, I recognize their benefit: they give me a more realistic image of my body and my shape. (Plus, if I ever get super ripped, they can be my "before" picture! Ha.)

I cleaned out my closet and donated anything that didn't fit or flatter to Goodwill and thredUP. I've also stopped following style blogs that aren't representative of my shape or size, and intentionally followed more blogs like Franish, Chic On the Cheap, and Nadia Aboulhosn on Feedly and Instagram. They inspire me to try new and different fashions, and maybe even branch out into the mystifying world of accessories. I've also plumped up my Pinterest inspiration board.

In closing, here's a new style adventure for me. I discovered that I love rompers and want to wear them alllll the time:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover