Tuesday, October 29, 2013

My daguerreotype girlfriends!

I belong to the very fun Seattle Ladies Choir, and we do social events every month. This month - in honor of Halloween, I assume - we went to Klondike Penny's to dress up as fancy ladies from the 1890s.

I'm on the far left, with a pickaxe, a fur, and a snotty expression.

Klondike Penny's is in Pioneer Square, right next to Occidental Park. With the cobblestones, the elegant brick buildings, and the wrought iron everywhere, it doesn't take much imagination to be transported back to the turn of the 20th century - especially if you're being violently laced into a boned corset.

On the right, you can see the corset from the back. They probably could have laced it tighter if I'd had something better to hold onto than the edge of a table. Oh well! And wouldn't it have actually been shocking for a woman to roam around  in public in naught but her underthings?

Once we had all donned the grand trappings of the Gay Nineties, we took to the streets, strutting before tourists on our way to the E. Smith Mercantile for a photo shoot.

Those of us with weapons..

E. Smith is a really charming little store with a nice bar in the rear. I can't wait to go back when I need to do some Christmas shopping.. or just some shopping for myself. I have my eye on an alpaca throw - softer than silk and warmer than wool, they say. Tyler thinks I have too many blankets, but how can you have too many blankets?? Either way, I haven't any made out of alpaca wool, so there.


The photo shoot was a lot of fun. My friends told me I looked like I was made for my clothes (and privately I thought to myself that I probably would have cleaned up, romantically speaking, in that era).

Who could resist?

All too soon it was over. I definitely want to return for another shoot - perhaps this time a gender-bender? I like to think that I wear a mustache pretty well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover