Thursday, September 12, 2013

Skinny genes.


I really needed this (from Thoughts By Natalie) today.

When most people talk about "body dysmorphia" (and here I don't mean the legit disease, but rather the general feelings all too common to women), they mean that the images they have of their bodies in their minds are far more negative than the reality of their bodies. They see themselves through a distorted lens when they look in the mirror.

But I have a great body image. I may have inherited an ample tush and thighs that touch, but if I were to make a list of pros and cons about my body, the things I like would fill up two pages, and the things I don't like would only take up a couple of lines. If I don't look in the mirror or try on clothes that don't fit right, I'm pretty sure that I am a smokin' hot fox of a woman, with curves in all the right places.

But recently, I realized that due to excessive snacking and lazing about, I had outgrown all but one pair of jeans, and my reality wasn't as excellent as my imagination implied. I looked in the mirror and I didn't recognize the new and uninvited changes happening to my body. As a result, I've been pretty down on myself lately, even as I try to return to a healthier schedule of exercise and not-fried food (my recent trip to Iowa didn't help much).

The other day, I decided that I couldn't live without a solid pair of dark denim jeans, and finally bought some that fit the body I have right now. And even though I'm pretty sure these jeans will be too big soon (fingers crossed), I feel fantastic every time I put them on - because I'm dressing myself in a way that is comfortable and flattering. Because I'm dressing myself with kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover