Tuesday, August 20, 2013

30 Before 30

My boyfriend turned 28 last week.


To celebrate, we had a picnic in the park and watched an outdoor movie.

I baked cupcakes and then we set them on fire, in the traditional birthday way.

He wears his age like a fitted, yet unstuffy blazer; he hangs out on the threshold of true adulthood, leans against the doorway and casually crosses his arms, giving the next two years (and ten, and twenty) a big, unconcerned grin. His mother wrote him a "totally unnecessary but really sweet" message about how he's still her "very young son" and he just laughed. 30 doesn't frighten him any more than 20 did.

But for some reason his birthday got this 25-year-old fretting about 30. (It probably has at least a little to do with the gendered implications of age 30+ for women vs. men.) Happily, my favorite way to deal with a fret, however premature, is with a list - and classy, on-the-go Hitha inspired me with a list of her own: 30 Before 30. Here are some of my favorites from her list:
6. Travel to a continent I've never been to before. 
9. Re-read all of Kate Chopin’s published works. 
24. Beat my husband at chess.
30. End my twenties with no regrets.
I've got five years - I bet I could come up with a pretty good list of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover