Friday, August 30, 2013

101 In 1001 #26: Juice cleanse.

Or "failed juice cleanse," I should say. Though I don't really feel like a failure, since I just ate scone. With honey butter.


Today was supposed to be day #3, the final day of my cleanse, but things went awry on the first day. All day I managed my cravings for food with pride, even though I hadn't planned my DIY home juice cleanse very well - evidently you're supposed to have about six bottles of different juices per day, and I had only planned and budgeted for three a day. (But who can afford $90 - $165 of juice for only three days? That's some crazy B.S.)

By the time I was halfway through choir practice, around 7 pm, I was having unbidden and strangely precise fantasies about food - for example, imagining with total clarity the taste and texture of each individual, gooey noodle from a Trader Joe's mac 'n' cheese. When my friend offered me a chocolate chip cookie, I cracked.

For the next two days, I drank juice for the bulk of my meals, and then "cheated" a little bit when I felt absolutely starved. I also had a light dinner last night.

I have felt lighter, more energized, and have felt more focused in the past couple of days. I also feel less snacky. All of this could be a placebo effect sort of thing, but at least I've bumped up my daily vitamin and nutrient intake by ingesting so many liquidated fruits and veggies. I haven't weighed myself because I never do, and I didn't do this to lose weight. I don't think a juice cleanse is really meant to do that; I think it's meant to make you feel refreshed and "reset." And it's done that for me.

If I ever do a juice cleanse again, I'll try to do it right, but I'm okay with this first experiment, failures and all.

This has been part of my 101 in 1001 challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover