Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Upcoming: Iceland

Photograph: Frank Krahmer/Getty Images; edits by me

Tyler and I are headed to Iceland so very, very soon. We booked our flight in December - it seems like we've been planning and dreaming of Iceland forever.

Of course, since Tyler isn't big on planning and I am a procrastinator (or "incubator," as I prefer to call myself), we only started planning in earnest about a month ago. I'm still trying to find a decent, waterproof windbreaker that doesn't make me look, sound, and smell like a trash bag.

But, small details like those aside, just about everything is ready. Here's a little taste of our - very ambitious - itinerary, which takes us all around the country:

  • Stay two nights in Reykjavik. Must-sees: the Icelandic Phallological Museum (we saw a documentary on it during the Seattle International Film Festival!); Thorvaldsen's Bazar; Hallgrimskirkja.
  • Take advantage of the midnight sun and hike - at night! - to a hot spring. Possibly try putrid shark meat. Probably regret it.
  • Drive to Akureyri, by way of the Snaefellsness Peninsula. Be very thankful that we paid extra to drive an automatic car - we are wussy Americans!
  • Hope to find some Icelandic horses. Bring carrots, just in case.
  • See a whole bunch of utterly immense and awe-inspiring waterfalls.
  • Explore a glacial lagoon.
  • Skinny dip in a river in the middle of nowhere - the water is toasty warm!
  • Eat, and eat, and eat. And hike to offset all that eating, a bit.
I can't wait!

**

Some guides I used to develop our itinerary:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover