Thursday, June 13, 2013

Stitch Fix #1

I'm a little late to the Stitch Fix parade, but I love all the reviews I've seen so much that I had to contribute my own! For those of you who don't yet know, Stitch Fix is a personal styling service for women that sends boxes full of clothes and accessories to each client based on her preferences. (You can make them a Pinterest board for inspiration - I did!) You pay a $20 deposit, then only pay for the items you decide to keep. If you keep all of them (there are usually about five pieces per box), you get a discount. (Return shipping is free and SO easy!) You can set up a monthly subscription or schedule a Fix whenever you feel like it.

I got on the Stitch Fix wait list a couple of months ago, and I didn't have to wait very long before I could order my first Fix. I received it a few days after my birthday, and it felt like Stitch Fix had sent me a lovely little gift. The packaging is pretty and thoughtful, and every item comes with a special tag with its description and suggestions on styling.


The first item was a Mily dress. I wasn't sure about it at first - it came with a slip and it looked like a big floral bag. Then I found the tie for it and realized that it would basically fit me no matter how my weight fluctuated - amazing!


The slip was too small, but I had another that fit perfectly, and the slip will make a great long tank. I was surprised by how much I loved this dress. It drapes nicely and swirls flirtatiously around my legs, and the print is pretty and feminine. I've already worn it three times. In the fall I plan on wearing it with black tights, but for now it is the ideal, light and airy spring/summer frock. (You do have to be careful bending over, however.)

Verdict: Keeping it!

Next, a hi-low button-up tank top.


I actually really liked this tank top. It felt classic with its collar and trim but modest lines; the fabric was nice; it didn't gap at the chest; and I liked the hi-low style. But the armpit holes were too big and I could see my bra when I lifted my arms. I probably could have had it tailored, but it was already around $50 and I didn't want to spend an extra $10 - $20 on it.

Verdict: Returned it. Still think about it sometimes, though.

This "Mystree" shirt was unlike anything in my closet, in a good way.


Sheer, but the floral panel around the chest/torso made it a little more modest. Usually I like shirts to cover the top of my butt, but I actually thought the crossover back detail was pretty cool. I thought about keeping this shirt, but the sleeves were a little too long (and couldn't really be rolled up), and the chest gapped a bit.

Verdict: Returned it, regretfully.

The one thing in the box that was not a shirt or a dress - ponte pants.


Ponte pants are...tricky. They should be comfortable because they're so stretchy, but usually they are low rise and thus threaten to expose my tush all the time, so I can't relax in them. Also they often show cellulite and/or camel toe. These pants did all of those things, and they were too long. Too bad, because I really need new black pants.

Verdict: Returned.

The last thing in the box was this dress.


You can probably tell from my face how I felt about it. I don't usually like tank dresses, and this one accomplished a lot of nasty things: it made me look like a child; the elastic cut into my waist; and it hugged my stomach in a very unflattering way. This dress would have been cute on Zooey Deschanel maybe, but it hated me, and I hated it.

Verdict: Returned.

And that's it for this round! I think the stylist did a good job for this first box; I was honestly delighted with it, even though I only kept one thing. I can't wait to see how things evolve as they get a better taste for my style and body type.

One thing I really like about Stitch Fix is that you can customize nearly everything in your Style Profile, including price. For my first box, I indicated that I preferred things to be on the cheaper end, and most of the items were between $48 and $78 - not exactly thrifty, but not break-the-bank expensive, either. However, I could still only justify getting one thing at those prices.

I've already ordered and received my second box, and I'm waiting on the third...they call it Stitch Fix for a reason - it's addictive!

Do you want a Fix of your own? Follow this link to get on the wait list. (Full disclosure: I'll get a credit to apply toward my next box, and I'll love you for it!)

2 comments:

  1. i would of hated that dress too! Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Jennifer! :)

      Delete

Pin It button on image hover